Mantra meditations are a different approach than the classic sit-and-breathe meditation, and they are highly effective if you have trouble focusing. Try any of these 10 mantra meditations to learn how to control the mind while unlocking deeper meaning for the words you chant. You’ll soon notice a difference in your overall health, wellness and attitude!
What’s in a Mantra Meditation?
- By definition, a mantra is “that which protects the mind.”
- Sitting and breathing during meditation is the classic meditation stance; mantra meditation adds or focuses instead on chanting a phrase. This can be done out loud or silently to yourself.
- Mantras have been used for centuries, since before the Buddha, all the way to the Vedic tradition.
- The intent is to look for meaning behind the words. A mantra isn’t just the words “om” or “I live in peace,” for example, but about the power or personal meaning the words can hold or convey.
- Chanting can be done in groups or individually.
- A meditation mantra can include concentrating on one single word, or several words, such as a whole sentence.
Benefits of a Mantra Meditation
- Helps to control the mind
- Allows you to feel in control of yourself and your environment (the world as you know it)
- Helps to balance the nervous system
- Increases awareness of the mind and body
- Assists in balancing hormones, which stabilizes your mood
- Foster overall sense of purpose
Mantra Meditation #1: Om Shanti Shanti Shanti
- Translates to “Om, peace, peace, peace to and for all”
- A popular beginner meditation since it’s easy to remember
- Repeat slowly, and in monotone.
Mantra Meditation #2: Sabbe Satta Sukhi Hontu
- Translates to “May all beings be happy”
- Perfect for when you are feeling uncertain about a work situation, or are unsure about what path to take
Mantra Meditation #3: Ra Ma Da Sa
- A popular Kundalini mantra mediation for healing purposes
- Means a call out to the Earth, the Sun, the Ether, and the Moon to heal and be healed
- Use for protection, for yourself or loved ones.
Mantra Meditation #4: Healthy Am I, Happy Am I, Holy Am I
- Brings about positive energy into any and all chakras for mental, emotional or physical well-being
- Use this mantra meditation and affirmation to restore a sense of peace, belonging and purpose.
Mantra Meditation #5: Om Mani Padme Hum
- Translates to “Hail to the jewel of the Lotus”
- Excellent meditation for reconnecting you to your source, the divine energy that puts you in touch with the universe, your wisdom and the right decisions you need to make.
Mantra Meditation #6: All is Well.
- Mantra for reclaiming good health, raising your vibrational frequency, improving communication with loved ones, or getting over illness
- As you inhale, slowly and steadily repeat the three words, and repeat them the same way as you exhale.
Mantra Meditation #7: I Am This.
- Chant as an affirmation for whatever your present intention may be.
- Repeat by filling in the blank: “I am _______ (strong, kind, compassionate, wise, all-knowing, intuitive, intelligent, or wealthy).”
- As you meditate, focus on the meaning of your chosen phrase. What would your daily life look like if you lived true to that word.
Mantra Meditation #8: Soham
- One of the best mantra meditations for beginners
- Focus on the word as you breathe deeply, mindfully inhaling and exhaling.
Mantra Meditation #9: Present Moment
- Great beginning mantra mediation to practice daily
- Inhale by focusing and saying the word, “Present.”
- Exhale by focusing and saying the word, “Moment.”
Mantra Meditation #10: Om
- The most commonly used chant – from meditation to yoga studios worldwide
- Translates to mean many different things, including god, unity and the divine
- Represents the time of awakening and creation, a spiritual opening from one to another
- To be spoken slowly while letting go of the physical being for a moment.
The Bottom Line . . .
Learn how to feel at peace instead of complacent about your life, gaining greater control of your mind through mantra meditation. Whether you just repeat “om” for five minutes a day, or customize your own chant to reflect something more meaningful for you, mantra meditation will empower you to improve your life in every way.